Tuesday 7 May 2013

Pancakes!


I'm not usually a big pancake fan. I just get the occasional pancake craving. And today was one of those days. In attempt to not sabotage my 'diet', I searched for a diet-friendly pancake recipe. 'Does such thing exist!?', you say. Why, yes it does! I used Undressed Skeleton's Blueberry Banana Pancakes recipe, and tweaked it the slightest bit. When I previously tried her recipe, I found that putting the blueberries IN the pancakes made my pancakes fall apart when I attempted to flip them. So instead of adding them into the pancake batter, I made a sauce out of them to put on top of the pancakes. Oh, and I added a couple of chocolate chips. 'Cause, y'know, I love me some chocolate chips. The portion is rather small, which is fine for me as I don't tend to eat big portions. If you, however, feel you need a little bit more to keep you full after breakfast, go ahead and grab a fruit salad or yoghurt with (fresh!) fruit.






Ingredients:

Pancakes:
  • 1 banana.
  • 1 egg.
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
  • 1 tbsp semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional.)
Blueberry sauce:
  • 1/3 cup blueberries.
  • 1 tsp fresh orange juice.
  • 1 tbsp honey.
  • 1-2 tbsp water.
  • 1/3-1/2 tsp gelatine (optional - if you want the sauce to be thicker, and not a soup like mine.)
Now, to make the goodness!
  • Make the blueberry sauce first, so it can cool down while you make the pancakes.
  • Place blueberry sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, until the sauce bubbles. I added water to mine to allow them to cook for a longer period of time, really letting the blueberry juices come out. However, do measure the water, and don't eye it like I did, cause you WILL add too much and you WILL end up with blueberry soup, as opposed to sauce.
  • Take off heat and let cool.
  • To make the pancake batter, you must peel, cut and mush the banana in a bowl.
  • Add egg, mix. Add cinnamon, mix. Drop in your chocolate chips, mix.
  • Heat a pan on low/medium heat and lightly spray with olive oil spray (uhhh geniusss invention!)
  • Drop small amounts of batter onto the heated pan to form small pancakes. Make them small, make them thin, you'll stack them anyway, and smaller is easier to flip. TRUST ME.
  • Cook until each side is lightly brown.
  • Stack 'em, drop a tablespoon of yoghurt on them if you feel like it, and pour your blueberry sauce over them. Mmm... I enjoyed my pancakes with a glass of milk!






































Nutrition information (for pancakes with chocolate chips and blueberry sauce):
Note: Plain pancakes without chocolate chips have 150 calories altogether. Pancakes with chocolate chips have 200 calories altogether. Blueberry sauce serving has 95 calories.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.































No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and be kind to others (: