Monday 6 May 2013

Toppings Matter.



Craving a nice big slice of pizza? Go for small pizza that will last for only one meal. Why? If you have a medium or big pizza to last you for two or three meals, it never will. You will always be tempted to reach for another slice, and another, and another, aaand before you know it, you've finished the entire box and your jeans don't fit. What else? Toppings matter. Instead of going for chunks bacon or deli meat, topped with tonnes of cheese, go for an option filled with vegetables, with a small amount of cheese. It's better for you. I promise. And as for where you should get your pizza... Home made all the way. That way you know exactly what's in it and what's on it, and you can even find a healthier and lower calorie pizza crust recipe online.




What's on my pizza? Home made tomato sauce, bell peppers, onion, olives, jalapeno pepper slices, baby spinach leaves, tomato pieces and a sprinkle of cheese and oregano. A tiny bit of ketchup on top. And, of course, avocado, tomato and pesto salsa. Divine. This is, hands down, the best pizza I have ever eaten. Ever. And I've had some insane amounts of pizza in my life.

Fact: Healthy fats and spicy food boost your metabolism and help burn fat.

Healthy crust picks:
Veggie Flatbreat Pizza.




So. Let's compare.

I have calculated the nutritional value of my home made pizza, as well as obtained the nutritional value of a Pizza Hut 6" Personal Veggie Lovers Pizza.

Note: I used normal pizza crust dough for my pizza. Nothing fancy and healthy. Had I made my own spinach, cauliflower or other healthy crust, the nutritional values for my pizza would have been even more appealing, and the calories, sugar and fat would have been lower.

The table on the right shows the nutritional value of my home made pizza, whilst the table on the right shows the nutritional value of the Pizza Hut pizza. At first glance, the calories seem pretty similar, so it's not so bad, is it? Let's look further. Total fat. My pizza has a higher amount of fats. That's bad right? Wrong. Avocado's are packed with healthy fats. The fats that are good for you, the fats that don't make you accumulate fat. Unlike the Pizza Hut fats. Cholesterol. Hmm.. Do I even need to say anything? Sodium, not a massive difference, I'll take that. But look at the Potassium! Potassium is rather beneficial. My pizza is lower in carbs, and higher in fibre. It's also higher in sugar, oops. I'm pretty sure that's just the vegetables though. The real ones. Pizza Hut's pizza is also higher in protein, but that's due to the fact that it has 5 times the amount of cheese on it. Go figure.

But let's look deeper. At the real benefits.

Once again, my home made pizza is on the left. Pizza Hut's 6" Personal Veggie Lovers Pizza on the right. I think this part is pretty self-explanatory.

Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and be kind to others (: