Saturday 25 May 2013

Product Review: Clinique Even Better Lotion SPF 20.


Back in December I purchased a couple of things from Clinique, and got a gift consisting of samples of various products. The Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Lotion was one of them. I was very excited, as I am always on the search for a good SPF, as I have not yet found an SPF that wouldn't make my skin feel shiny and oily, and break me out. 

What Clinique says:

Creates a more even appearing skin tone. Protects skin with a high level UVA/UVB protection, while instantly brightening and clarifying the skins appearance.

Product: 6/10.

I disliked this product. When I first got a bit of it out of the tube, I was pleased that it had a very milky consistency, as that made me think it would be very lightweight and would absorb quickly. However, when I spread it on my skin, I found that it would linger, creating a heavy, shiny film on my face. It was sticky, and any make-up applied over it would refuse to stay in place. I also disliked the strong sunscreen scent, as it was very unpleasant. A product with an SPF of only 20 should not feel this heavy. HOWEVER, this product is predominantly for people with an uneven skin tone, which is not a concern of mine. Therefore, I can't comment on the effectiveness of this product's TRUE purpose. I also have very oily skin, so someone with dry, normal or combination skin might not experience the extreme shininess, stickiness and heaviness of this product. The fact that this product protects against both UVA and UVB rays makes this a good sunscreen, as an SPF 20 is a good enough for everyday sun protection. If you suffer from hyper-pigmentation and don't have oily skin, I would still recommend trying this product. ALSO, I tested the old formulation of this lotion, which had been replaced by a new formula which is more friendly for oilier skin. Therefore, some of the things I disliked about this product may now be irrelevant. 

Top picture:
A drop of this product has a milky consistency.
Bottom picture:
(The shiny) half of my hand is covered in the lotion,
while the matt part is clean.


Price: 4/10.

The new version of this product retails in Boots and on the Clinique website for £35. Personally, I feel that this is a bit excessive for a sunscreen product, however it may be worth the money if you're looking for a product to correct your skin tone.

Final verdict: 5/10.

Would I purchase this product: No, however I would like to test the new formulation.

Would I recommend it to a product to a friend: Yes, and no. Depends on what my friend would be looking for.

The old formulation of this product did not appeal to me at all. It felt heavy on my skin and made my make-up slide all over the place. However, it can be partially due to how oily my skin is, therefore the new formulation may work better for skin like mine. It may, in fact, leave a lovely healthy glow on drier skin. Also, I do not suffer from hyper-pigmentation, so I can't comment on how well it works as a skin tone correcting treatment.

1 comment:

  1. When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

    oversættelsestjeneste

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and be kind to others (: