Saturday 17 August 2013

Eye Defining Contact Lenses.

I have been a contact lens wearer for quite a few years now, and have been loyal to my Acuvue TruEye daily lenses for the past two or so years. Prior to that, I used to wear monthly lenses, however after trying the TruEye daily lenses I couldn't go back, as these were just so soft and comfortable, and there was no hassle of 'oh crap, I just ripped my monthly lens and it's only been a week'. I've heard about circle lenses being a big thing in Asia, however I also heard that they weren't the healthiest for your eyes due to their size and various other factors. Needless to say, when I heard that my favourite daily lenses now come in the Define version, I was intrigued. All the benefits of wearing daily vision-correcting lenses AND bigger, brighter and more defined eyes, the healthy way? Yes please.


Left: Vivid, Right: Accent.

When I went to my local Vision Express to try them out, and was given two types; Accent and Vivid. I am not sure whether these are the only types available elsewhere.

Here is how they both looked on me:

No contact lens.
Acuvue Define Vivid.
(Excuse the red eye, I managed to poke myself in it).
Acuvue Define Accent.
These both retail for the same price as other Acuvue daily lenses, around £25 per box of 30 (so 15 uses). The price may vary a few pounds, depending on where you buy your lenses. Boots also offer a 5 day trial of these lenses, however the ones they show seem to have thinner rings. I'm not sure whether this is just what they look like on the picture, or whether there is a more subtle version out there.

When I was trying on these lenses, they were a little difficult to put on, as I'm used to normal, clear lenses. These are a little bit bigger, which means you have to open your eye a bit more to be able to put them in. I usually only have to pull on my lower eyelid and look up to insert clear lenses, with these I had to hold both eyelids with my fingers and look to the side while inserting the lens. When I tried looking up, the lens would fall out when I'd blink. However, this is just a matter of getting used to a different type of lens, and the insertion will become easier in a matter of days. When inserted, these lenses felt very comfortable, as comfortable as any other daily lenses, as they are soft.

Overall, I think these lenses are worth a shot. As I have brown eyes, both these lenses work well with my eye colour. I think green eyes could get away with both types as well, although the Vivid ones would probably look better. Dark blue eyes could probably get away with the Accent ones, although I'm not sure how light blue eyes would look. If there is a more subtle version with thinner black rings, that is definitely one you should look out for if you have blue eyes. On myself, I think I prefer the Vivid ones, as they look more natural and could be worn during the day, however I'm looking forward to using the Accent ones on nights out with more dramatic eye make-up. I also think that both of these would beautifully compliment any make-up look, adding depth and drama.

What do you think? Have you tried either one of these? Or have you tried a different type? Any recommendations? Let me know! :)

NOTE: Whenever buying contact lenses, make sure they're made by a trust-worthy brand and come from a reliable source. Also, make sure to always wash your hands before inserting contact lenses, as failing to do so can leave you with an eye infection, which really isn't fun.

UPDATE: I was told (in the comment section down below) that in some cases your cornea could be too flat to fit the curvature of these lenses, hence they may not work for you. They may also cause your eyes to dry out faster than normal lenses, so having lubricating eye drops is very handy!

3 comments:

  1. In some cases, your cornea could be too flat that the curvature of these lenses is not suitable for the eye. As for me, I was able to fit the lenses well, but I could only wear for about 8 hours and would need to apply eye drops thereafter to add moisture to the eyes.Cheap Acuvue Define

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's interesting, I will have to remember that when wearing these more regularly and when recommending them to people. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete

Please leave a comment and be kind to others (: