Monday 20 May 2013

Healthy Cookies!


I was craving something sweet again today, however I had a bit of a cheat day yesterday in terms of sweets, and I refused to let myself fall into a candy vortex again. Nuh-uh, not this time! So I decided to make some healthy cookies! It was generally a bit of an experiment, inspired by Blogilates' healthy cookie recipe. I didn't really know what I was doing, I just chucked together a bunch of things that I thought would work. And it worked! Each one of these cookies has 50 calories, which makes it a great snack! 



Ingredients:

  • 3 tbsp oats.
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce.
  • 1 tsp honey
  • Cinnamon to taste (optional).
  • 1/2 banana.
  • 6 small strawberries.
  • 1/2 tbsp flax seeds.
  • 2 walnuts.
  • 1 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mush the banana using a fork, add the apple sauce, honey, cinnamon, oats and flax seed and mix. I added quite a bit of cinnamon, but that's because I love the cinnamon taste! Chop the walnuts, cut the strawberries, and add them along with the chocolate chips. Mix, mix, mix, and spray or spread a tiny amount of olive oil on an oven safe dish of some sort. Now make 6 little balls (*chuckles* very mature, Kasha) and place them on the dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, take out and leave for a couple of minutes before you indulge! 

They came out a bit soft, although I only baked mine for 15 minutes. Maybe if I left them for a bit longer, they'd have hardened a little more. Or perhaps if I let them cool completely before shoving them in my face, they would also have hardened a little bit. Needless to say, they were delicious. And if they hardened a little better, they'd be amazing treats to take to work or school with you! You could definitely play around with what you add to them, I chose strawberries, chocolate chips and walnuts because that's what I had lying around. Next time I might try them out with blueberries instead of strawberries, or omit the walnuts or try different nuts. You get the point! I also didn't want to go crazy in the nuts department, as although nuts are very healthy, too many nuts have a high calorie content!

I also managed to dig out my digital camera, as I've completely forgotten about its existence. That means better quality photos on my blog! Woop woop!

Nutrition information (all 6 cookies):
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and be kind to others (: